Intel today released the specs for the 12- to 18-core processors: Intel® Core™ i9-7920X, Intel Core i9-7940X, Intel Core i9-7960X and the Extreme Edition Intel Core i9-7980XE processors. Announced at Computex 2017, the Intel Core X-series processor family is the most powerful, scalable and accessible high-end desktop platform1 offered by Intel, designed to deliver the performance needed to meet extreme computing demands for virtual reality (VR), content creation, gaming and overclocking.
The new X-series processor family is the ultimate platform for content creators and gamers. Multitasking becomes extreme mega-tasking with simultaneous, compute-intensive, multi threaded workloads aligned in purpose, powered by up to 18 cores and 36 threads. And, with up to 68 PCIe 3.0 lanes on the platform, people have the ability to expand their systems with fast SSDs, up to four discrete GFX cards and ultrafast Thunderbolt™ 3 solutions.
We can expect up to 20 percent better performance for VR content creation and up to 30 percent faster 4K video editing over the previous generation. This means less time waiting and more time designing new worlds and experiences. Gamers and enthusiasts will experience up to 30 percent faster extreme mega-tasking for gaming over the previous generation.
Features of X-Series :
• New! Intel Core i9 Extreme Edition processor featuring 18 cores and 36 threads
• New! Intel’s most scalable high-end desktop platform ever with 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4-core options
• New! LGA 2066 socket for Intel Core X-series processor family
• Up to 15 percent faster single-thread performance2 over the previous generation
• Massive 36-thread performance and quad-channel memory for content creation and extreme
• Up to 68 lanes of PCIe 3.0 on the platform to expand your system with fast SSDs, multiple discrete graphics cards and ultrafast Thunderbolt™ 3 technology• New! Intel Core i9 Extreme Edition processor featuring 18 cores and 36 threads